[LRflex] Re: Scanner

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:38:51 -0700

On Aug 18, 2009, at 2:45 PM, David Young wrote:

Steve Barbour asked:
a few more questions David on this important, information loaded e- mail...

2) The new Pan/Oly/soon to be Samsung

oh really Samsung too, or are they taking over instead of Pan/Oly...

Samsung, too. The announcement was in one of the Canuck trade journals. Look for it, this fall. Don't know much more. Sorry.

how about this camera with an optical viewfinder?

3) After losing my R8/DMR

I lived through all this, and yet I still don't fully understand, why this was never made right, but I won't ask...I won't ask, I won't ask...

OK. You asked... They couldn't make it right because by the time my failure happened, they were out of new DMR's and were, I understand, supplying rebuilt units. These, it seems, were not so well reconditioned. Thus, both replacements they sent me promptly failed.

As I understand it, the problem stems from the fact that ~3000 were made, by Imacon (Denmark), for Leica, under contract. However, they apparently didn't provide Leica with sufficient training or parts to maintain them properly. (Or, so the story goes.) Probably because they, too, were financially "on the ropes". Thus, Leica did repairs with replacements, until they had no more. Eventually, Imacon went bust, were bought by Hasselblad, and now view Leica as a competitor (more so since the into of the S2). Thus, there is little hope of future cooperation.

This is also why there have been no firmware updates, and none are expected.

too bad... how the best of intentions...

now it all comes back....

4) The last option is to convert your lenses to Nikon mount with the LEITAX mounts. Several people here (Howard Cummer springs to mind) have done this with numerous lenses, and their results with the D300 & up are fantastic. The conversion is reversible, but you need a mount for each lens you have - so, more expensive than adapters, but a better fit.

tempting, does anyone do this for $..?

is there an alternative?

I understand the conversion is quite easy to do at home, with very simple tools.

Alternatively, there are some adapters which allow Leica (and other) glass on a Nikon, but because of the deeper lens flange to film/ sensor plane (the registration) they will not allow focusing to infinity.

BTW: As you can tell, I'm very happy with my Oly. However, cameras are very personal ... how they work, for you, depends on you're style of shooting, the size of your hands and their intrinsic "feel". If you have the chance, play with them all in the stores, or, better yet, fondle those which belong to friends. You'll find what you're looking for, after some experimentation. OTOH, all of them will do a decent job with Leica glass.

we must discuss the use of R lenses on the E3, and how to avoid overexposure, as you close down the diaphragm, even with aperture priority settings......

I have no problems... I just close down the lens and shoot... "A" mode. Same procedure drove me nuts with the Canon 20D & 30D.

today I find it's working OK with the E3... sorry, my impression earlier was wrong...

You'll love the 90 Summicron.  I miss mine!

I may have one to sell...

I do miss mine ...but, sadly, I'm not in the market. Because of a recent flood, I've had to purchase a new furnace and hot water tank within the last 30 days or so. Budget's shot!

I'll trade you one for a hot water tank...

:-)

Besides, the 50 Sumi makes a really nice portrait lens on the E3!

thanks,

Steve

David Young
Logan Lake, BC