[LRflex] Re: Scanner

  • From: Charlie Chan <topoxforddoc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 07:56:41 +0100

Richard,

There aren'e many new film scanners left and word is that Nikon is bailing out.. With the whip round that you're getting, a Nikon 5000ED would be the one to get - top quality scans. If you were going second hand, try a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite 5400 (original or mark II) - excellent scanner still supported and serviced by Johnson Photopia in the UK. Be prepared though for the time it takes to scan properly - it ain't quick!

Charlie Chan
Cheltenham, UK

On 18 Aug 2009, at 06:06, David Young wrote:

At 8/18/2009, you wrote:
I am new to the forum, live in London (UK) and need some advice. My fiftieth birthday approaches, and word is that a whip-around might result in a considerable sum. I take 35mm slide film (with my Leica R6 with Brightscreen) as well as some black and white. My family also has a large collection of family slides taken by my father with his M3. He obviously worked carefully, as the quality of the latter is astonishing, - I have been trying to catch-up... I thought of a scanner. Well, to be frank, I thought of many things, but a scanner seemed a practical piece of equipment. Supposing the pot amounted to $1000, would this be wisely spent on a scanner, and what make etc, etc...? Would this be enough? I am devoted to my 50mm 1.4 Summilux (E60) and 28mm Elmarit, using them for family portraits and landscape, along with general stuff. Sometimes I think I should buy a digital camera that would take these lenses, but the quality of those M3 slides just haunts me. Do I need to desert film or just improve my craftsmanship? And so I go round again. But the scanner thing, and any other comments, would be appreciated. Richard

Hi Richard!

Welcome to the zoo!

I use, and highly recommend, the Nikon Coolscan V dedicated 35mm film/slide scanner. Excellent results, though, as Richard noted, not fast. I paid about $800 for mine, 5 years ago, brand new. The are not too hard to find, used, for less. (USB connection.)

I believe several here, including Xavier, use the Coolscan IV, also with very good results.

For film and/or slides, a flat-bed scanner yields medium quality results, at best.

On other note, about VueScan - the "killer program". I bought it, and quickly abandoned it. It does deliver good results, from what I've seen, but it's is not intuitive ... at least, not for me. Newer versions may be better ... I've not played with it, in a while. You can (or could), at least, try it, before you buy it.

Once again, welcome!

Cheers!

David.
(zookeeper)