[LRflex] Re: Saker Falcon

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:00:57 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Douglas Herr showed:
>
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/safa00.html
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/safa02.html
>>
>>a crow flies overhead:
>>http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/safa01.html
>>
>>Technical stuff:  Leicaflex SL2 with SL viewscreen, 20mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R,
>>shoulder stock/monopod, Provia 400F
>>

>G'Mornin' Doug!
>
>Of all the 'portraits', offered in this series, so far, safa00.html is,
>I think, the best.  They are all, including the two Eagle Owl shots,
>magnificent. The visual impact is incredible, and the shots are stunning!
>
>I'm curious.  From the DOF in all of these, you're obviously not
>shooting wide open.  Typically, what f-stop would you be using in these
>shots?  My guess would be f5.6 - f8.
>
>As always... WELL DONE!
>
>Cheers!

David, the aperture was driven mostly by the lighting (a dark and stormy day).
Ffor the falcon photos I probably wasn't using anything smaller than f/5.6; the
latest photos of Kalie (the Eagle Owl) were made during a small break in the
storm when there was more light so I probably was using f/8 on those photos.
Thanks for looking.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com