[LRflex] Re: SL2 - checking of

  • From: wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:54:19 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Joe B. wrote:

>... are there any particular issues that need to be looked
>out for when examining an SL2 body? I know how to check the R4-R7 bodies
>(more or less) but with this- it's a completely different camera.

Listen to the shutter speeds, particularly the slow speeds.  If i/4 sec sounds
faster than 1/8 sec the shutter needs a CLA.  Likewise, watch the shutter with
the back open at the faster speeds, holding the camera up to a light source.
As you operate the shutter you should not see any bounce at the left (rewind)
side, and at all speeds you should be able to see that the shutter opens over
the entire film gate area.  Some SL2 bodies have had problems with the fastest
speeds where the shutter caps too soon.

The viewfinder should be clear and bright with no signs of the yellow or brown
indistinct blotches that would indicate fungus or de-silvering.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com