[LRFlex] Re: SL2 Viewfinder

  • From: Bob Palmieri <rpalmier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 09:27:14 -0600

Nick (or Robert??)-

I'll relay my experience with the resilvered prism in one of my SL's. It is slightly dimmer (in fact, it measures 2/3 stop less light transmission) than my original prism in my other SL.) This assumes that the screens are equivalent, which I'm pretty sure they are...

However, in my experience the graphic color shift is a universal property of these finders, resilvered or not. I beleive, in fact, that there's a good chance that the lack of "color correction" in these finders was a deliberate design decision on the part of Leica's designers at the time which is related to maximizing light transmission, the eye's focussing ease, or both.

In practice I've not found the resilvered prism to be a problem, although I do find myself using the brighter one with my 6.8 Telyt.

Bob Palmieri

On Dec 3, 2004, at 8:37 AM, Merritt, Robert wrote:

I have an SL2 (my only Leica reflex) which I bought used last year.  It needed a fair amount of work, including resilvering of the pentaprism, so off it went to Dan Goldberg, who offers resilvered prisms.  The new prism seems to be much like the original, which is to say VERY cool in coloration -- a distinctly blue/gray hue compared to the real world.  As such, it strikes me as not as bright as it could be, and not as bright as that of other SLRs.  (But it's a heck of a lot easier to focus than the original!)  Is this typical?

Nick

NOTICE: The information contained in this electronic mail message is confidential and intended only for certain recipients. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without copying or disclosing it.