[LRflex] SL2 Technical Query

  • From: "Chris Birchenhall" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 21:15:33 +0100

Hi,

I'd like to post a technical question on the Leicaflex SL2. I have just
taken delivery of a Leicatime half case for my SL2. This has thrown up a
curiosity either about my particular SL2 or its design. On first arrival the
half case was a tight fit and in particular tightly hugged the self-timer.
Oddly the film winder jammed after the first wind and shutter release. When
I took off the case the winder was working normally. Needless to say I was
puzzled for a good while. Eventually I decided it was something to do with
the self timer. So I took off the case and applied significant pressure to
the lower part of the circular base of the self timer. This reproduced the
phenomena I had experienced with the half case. Let me repeat the winder
jammed after the first exposure. My conjecture is that the mechanism that
locks the winder after a film advance is not released after the exposure
because of the pressure on the self timer base. I have no knowledge of the
details of the self timer / winder / shutter release interplay but they are
clearly inter-linked.

I have since "trained" the half-case so that is does not apply so much
pressure to the self timer, but the wind on process is still a little sticky
at times. So here is my question: is this a feature of the SL2 design or a
"fault" in my camera? Anyone have any clues for me?

All the best, Chris