[LRflex] Re: SD cards for DMR

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:53:37 -0700

Charlie,

Aha! That's a data point of which I had not been aware.

Thanks for filling me in,

Bill

On Aug 13, 2009, at 10:02 AM, charlie chan wrote:

Bill,

Personally I prefer the Transcend cards. Some time ago, Guy Mancuso compared a few cards and the Transcend came out tops.

Charlie

On 13 Aug 2009, at 16:56, William B. Abbott III wrote:

Charlie,

Thanks, I'm looking for 2GB SanDisk Extreme III SD's now but 2GB cards seem to be passé as the technology has moved so far beyond what it was when the DMR's capabilities were frozen, apparently forever. I'll try a Transcend too.

I have no problem with the 2GB limit; it seems "normal" to me now and I enjoy not having all my eggs in one basket, as a larger capacity would permit, although I have never had an SD card failure, yet.

The DMR may end up as the ENIAC of the digital camera world, eventually so far removed from the current technology as to be only a curiosity. A least it uses solid state electronics and not vacuum tubes!

All the best,

Bill

On Aug 12, 2009, at 11:13 PM, Charlie Chan wrote:

I use Sandisk Ultra II and Extremes as well as the Transcend Ultra 150x cards - all fine.

Charlie

On 12 Aug 2009, at 20:17, William B. Abbott III wrote:

Doug,

Thanks. I'll give the 2GB Extreme III a try.

New subject: Google Maps shows Appel Gallery at 2 sites, one downtown, the other down near Land Park, with which I am familiar because my late mother-in-law lived nearby, and years ago we used to take our kids to play in the Park when visiting Grandma. When your exhibit comes to pass, I assume it will be downtown.

All the best,

Bill

On Aug 12, 2009, at 10:28 AM, wildlightphoto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

William B. Abbott III wrote:

When I bought my DMR back in January 2006, I bought several SanDisk
Ultra II 2GB SD cards that I still use.

Since then, the 2GB barrier in the DMR has not been raised nor have provisions been made for SDHC cards, as far as I know, so the only SD
card variable open to change for me is the speed of the card.

Can anyone offer any experience with cards that are higher in speed
than the Ultra II, which is 9 MB/sec write and 10 MB/sec read,
approximately 66X or Class 6. Is higher speed capacity a tangible
asset in DMR use?
<<<

I don't know what the DMR's speed capacity is, but I've been getting faster performance with the Sandisk Extreme III cards than with the Ultra II. Also, some 4GB non-HC cards seem to work (with variable reviews) such as a
Transcend(?) model. The Sandisk 2GB Extreme III have been working
flawlessly for me so I haven't tried the 4GB non-HC card option.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com