[LRflex] Re: S2 at work? OT....NOT!

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 22:03:57 -0700 (PDT)

Ola Group,
   I think that since a very large chunk of Leica's time, effort, and capital,
is tied up in the S2 System, wondering whether it's in use at the high profile
NY Fashion Week is a pretty darn ON TOPIC Question! :-) If the S2 isn't at
least
a 'break even' project, Leica the Corporation will be flirting with a 'dirt
nap'
some time soon.
   I do think Dr. Ted's comment:"Given I played with an S2 earlier this week it
didn't feel nor look much different than the many hundreds of times I've had R8
motor driven SLR's in my hands." Is some blessed good news. I am going to
repeat
a comment I made re:Leica jumping into the Mirrorless Camera Arena. If the
product isn't differentiated in important ways from it's competition, Leica
would just be wasting it's time. When I hear that Leica's Medium Format dSLR
felt not much different than a Motor Driven R8 is Fantastic News! This is a
terrific differentiation from it's Big and Heavy Medium Format Digital
Competitors on size and weight alone. If it has great ergonomics and the
'software' engineering for it's digital interface to match, Leica has got a
good
shot at succeeding with the S2 System. Bravo.
   The market for the S2 likely will never be all that big, but I suspect that
every last S2 User/Owner would be a great candidate for M9/M10/R10 Ownership
along with 'halo' employees and such - a bit analogous to Seal evangelizing for
Leica with his co-horts and fans. The S2 can serve as a beachhead in reaching
photographers who are paid to use equipment, understand equipment, and may
reach
for Leica Cameras as something more than for experimenting with rangefinders.
   Before thinking these paragraphs through, I couldn't quite understand how
the
S2 was going to 'really' help Leica in either the 'right now' or build their
'tomorrows'. Now I start to see some sense in the effort to design and built a
whole dSLR System like that. If the only major cameras Leica builds are newer
generations of Digital Rangefinders, the size, growth, and profitability of the
Leica Corporate Endeavour going forward is intrinsically tied to the
incremental
growth and/or incremental decline of dRF Cameras and Lenses. Without a big
add-on product-line to either grow profits, grow the customer base, or provide
some sort of 'halo' sales effect to the M8/M9/M10 product line: Leica's growth
is capped.

I only hope the New Leica to be rolled out at 'Photokina': which will be the
basis for their long promised 'R-Option', is as well designed as the S2 appears
to be and be as distinctly differentiated from it's competitors, too.
As far as I'm concerned discussing the S2 and the "R-Option" are distinctly On
Topic because these two cameras are rather important to Leica's Prosperity and
Advancement as a Corporate Entity. If those two things don't happen in spades,
Leica coming out with a 'Real' R Solution (ie:SLR Based) won't ever ever ever
happen.

Richard in Michigan

â??No man hath given his child anything better than good manners.â??
- Prophet Muhammad (570-632)