[LRflex] Re: Rumour mongering...

  • From: "FLAVIO GORI" <flaviogori@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 20:21:19 +0200

This rumor (maybe a little bit more) is on the latest Leica Fotografie
International magazine, page 6 in the PHOTO NEWS section.
In few words, LFI is reporting that Dr Andreas Kaufmann as CEO of ACM
the majority shareholder of Leica, "apparently has great plans for
Wetzlar". Maybe a "Leitz-Park to be developed on former military
grounds 117.000 square km large and conveniently placed as regards of
transport facility". "To establish a nexus of facilities bearing the
name "Leica Welt", with a museum, an exhibition and a ssales
environment and to create spaces for regional companies of the
opto-mechanical industry such as Weller-Feinwerktechnik, provider of
lens mounts to Leica."

The question to move to Wetzlar from Solms "remains completely open
said the company spokeman Gero Furchheim, however is perfectly
conceivable. Chief executive Steven Lee, for one, has confessed to LFI
his affinity for the cluster project".

LFI end the report saying will follow closely all news about.

Maybe more than a rumor? Should be fine indeed.

Flavio

On 04/05/07, David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> NOTICE:  THIS IS ONLY A RUMOUR  - NOT FACT!
>
> I have heard an unsubstantiated rumour that Leica Camera (presently
> of Solms, Germany) has bought land and is preparing to build a new
> factory in Wetzlar... .presumably to be ready in time to produce the
> R10.  If true, it would appear that Leica feel it valuable to
> resurrect the "Leica Wetzlar" or even "Leitz Wetzlar" image/tradename.
>
> Is there a European list member (Douglas Sharp, are you listening???)
> who can confirm/deny this rumour?
>
> Sometimes it's amazing, what you hear!
>
> Cheers!
>
> ---