[LRflex] Re: Rumour mill

  • From: Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 04:05:26 -0700

Kieth:

I spend nearly 20 years in network and telecom technology. I still remember the bravado about Free Space Optics and Fibrer Interfaces - until it actually had to work.

You are so right on about "new software". That term STILL gives me the whammies.

Somehow, Leica has got to Keep It Simple, yet excite their very narrow market with Innovation.

Tall order.

Regards,

Bob

On Oct 19, 2007, at 3:06, KEITH LONGMORE wrote:

Well, folks, that's what I call a rumour mill!!

Curved sensors: I'd thought about that, and decided to dismiss the idea, because the sensors are cut from the usual flat block of silicon. But it would be an interesting solution - especially as you would need double curvature. However, if you curved the sensor, you'd need optically different lenses, and you couldn't use an existing lens without either some sort of software modification of the picture, or else optical converter. And the latter might need to be different for different lenses. Of course, as Minox proved, you can have film with double curvature......

Steve: we prefer Zestril or Lansoprazole for reflux...! ;-) Since both taste awful, I think we'd better stick with Reflex.... :-D

One serious thought, however: for its digitals, Canon have produced quite a few EF-S lenses, mostly wide angle to about 90mm, to reduce the problems associated with the large distance mount - sensor on DSLRs - even APS-C size. It would be logical that Leica will need to do something similar. That doesn't force the owner of older lenses to discard them, but their performance will not match the EF-S pattern.

Incidentally, something not mentioned. Sensor size v viewfinder brightness. David has commented about the viewfinder of his 20D not being anywhere near as bright as his R8 or R9. With an APS-C size sensor (22.5 x 15) the mirror is correspondingly smaller, and the viewfinder needs correspondingly more magnification to get a reasonable picture size, so inevitably, fundamentals being what they are, the image is dimmer. And there's nothing you can do about fundamentals! That alone might be a good enough reason for Leica to go to a full-frame sensor. I would sound a cautionary note about a larger than full frame sensor to give IS electronically: for 'electronically', read 'software'. That word should make us all a bit twitchy! Unless they have access to a well-proven algorithm, they could just catch a cold; now here's a thought: it would be logical to go that route if they are collaborating with one of the other manufacturers, so as to tap into their experience. After two and a half decades involvement with software reliability and safety, I probably hear the alarm bells sooner than most; but suffice it to say, been there, done that, got the baseball cap, tee-shirt, and sunglasses.....and a nervous twitch when I hear the words 'new software'.

I guess we'll all go back into hibernation soon, until the next prod of the rumour mill....
Cheers
Keith