[LRFlex] Re: Rlens to EOS adapter

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2005 18:42:32 +0200

Hello Charles,
I got into this thread a little late.
I don't know the Cameraquest and Fotodiox adapters bit I have been using the Novoflex since the middle of last year. It is worth what it costs if you consider the quality.
The plate on the lens side of it is milled out of phosphor bronze and finished ina Leica-like dull chrome and attached to the rear ring by 6 screws.The black anodised rear ring is steel. Between these rings are 3 retaining spring elements which fasten it very tightly to the lens flange.
The quality is exactly what one would expect from Novoflex, and approaches the kind of precision machining we expect from companies like Leica.
There is only one thing about which I didn't like at first, the release lever, a piece of spring steel wire with a tiny steel cylinder on the end, was very tight in the retaining slot of Leica lenses, with age this has "run-in". In the first few months it meant a lot of broken fingernails.
cheers
Douglas

Charles Cason wrote:

Thanks Bob,  I found it and ordered it.  A little less than $225 with S/H.
They have a 7 day return policy so I'll try it out with all lens ASAP.
Again,  thanks for all the help.
Charles

Bob Palmieri wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home? O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=220121&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

(you might hafta reformat this URL.)

Bob Palmieri

On Jul 1, 2005, at 10:34 AM, Charles Cason wrote:

Hi Bob,
You answered me before I got the question to you again.  Thanks.
I still need a link to B&H however.
Charles

Bob Palmieri wrote:

Charles -

I don't have the Novoflex yet but someone on the list has one and confirmed this spring thing.

Like I said, I really think that it's the better of the mousetraps.

However, I can only speak from hands-on (and lens-falling-off) experience about the Fotodiox piece, and only about my sample. I should also say that all of my lenses are from the 70's...

Stephen Gandy certainly seems like just the sort of guy who's made a business from solving a lot of problems for the niche market of cool photo gear enthusiasts, and definitely deserves our support.

If I was youse, I'd order the Novo from B&H and the CameraQuest from Stephen and return the one you like least. (I think Mr. Gandy accepts returns, but I'm not sure 'bout that...) 'Course, for that matter, perhaps you could be the first among us to gat all three together and give us the definitive word on this persistent question.

Bob Palmieri

On Jul 1, 2005, at 10:05 AM, Charles Cason wrote:

Hi Ted, and others,
Is there much difference between the adapter made by Novoflex (with springs) and the one from CameraQuest?
I have some old 2 and 3 cam lens as well as some new ROM lens and them my long 400/560 telyts. I need an adapter that will handle all of these if that is possible.

Is Bob Palmeri here?  Did you get the Novoflex?

I appreciate the help fellows.
Charles Cason

Ted Grant wrote:

Charles Cason said:
Subject: [LRFlex] WAS: Rlens to EOS NOW: 3200 results

Wow, that is pretty good for the ISO3200 setting on the 20d. Did you use the same lens setup?<<<

Charles,
The ASA 3200 setting on the 20D is amazing. Don't even consider it anything like 3200 film as it's so superior you'll find you'll have no fear to almost shoot by starlight! ;-) Well OK not quite, ;-) but there isn't any comparison regardless of what "film shooters only" may think and say that it's not possible. They've not put the 3200 to a true on the job shooting test. Most importantly.... they haven't cleared their "film thinking" from their minds.

This is truly a ..... "got to do it, see it and then you'll believe it!"

I've done much of my 3200 shooting with the 10mm-22mm super-wide and the 80-200 Leica f4.0 zoom and it's results are quite amazing both in colour or B&W.

ted