[LRflex] Re: Request for advice - the Piper PA-12

  • From: "Nevin B. Greninger" <greninnb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 00:25:17 -0400

Hi from Nevin from near Pittsburgh.

I have enjoyed the discussion of the graphics and the PA-12 that was built
in Lock Haven, PA where naturally Piper Aircraft was located.  My father
started working for Piper Aircraft in 1942 after we moved off of the chicken
farm.  As a youngster I had a newpaper route and delivered the paper to
William Piper, Jr the son of the founder of Piper Aircraft that had been the
Taylor Company.

In 1977 with a Polish colleague, a research mining engineer, I had the
opportunity to take a sight-seeing flight down the Grand Canyon beneath the
rim for 215 miles, landing at the small airport at the southern end of the
Grand Canyon.  There were three of us going down the Grand Canyon, including
the pilot.  My Polish friend sat in the co-pilot seat, giving him a great
view.   On the return trip to Las Vegas, we had an additional passenger but
we flew above the rim. The plane was a twin-engine Piper plane.   Such
flights are no longer permitted because of the danger and the disturbance to
the environment.  The flight down under the rim required great pilot skill.

While I was a student at Cornell back in the 1960's, I had to take several
graduate courses in aeronautical engineering - one in general fluid
mechanics and one is gas dynamics - and recall taking a book bag one day to
class that was my newspaper bag for the Lock Haven Express. My teacher and
academic advisor was Bill Sears and he mentioned he was familiar with Piper
Aviation.

I had to take two aeronautical courses to prepare me for a research effort
in chemical kinetics in shock waves. It was an interesting project using a
single-pulse shock tube that allowed conventional sampling and analysis with
a mass spectrometer.  My research advisor was a chemical kineticist who
studied under Linus Pauling at Cal Tech.  While pursuing some graduate
studies at Penn State University, I had the opportunity to hear Theodore von
Karman deliver two seminars - one on MHD and the other on the teaching of
thermodynamics. He was the first director of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory
at Cal Tech and is featured on a US postage stamp. Bill Sears did his
doctorate under Von Karman.

So my days at Cornell were exciting and I had also great teachers in
physics. I listened to Hans Bethe in his intermediate quantum mechanics
course only for a short while, having to give it up as the weekly homework
sets took almost 30 hours to complete and I also had to work on a research
project.  I had completed the basic quantum mechanics course though from a
youngster, Ken Wilson, who was born in1936. He had his own approach and I
regret that I did not put a lot of time into that course. Ken Wilson later
went on to win a Nobel Prize in Physics. for work inquantum theory.   The
course from Bethe for me with my chemical engineering background was just
too difficult.    Bethe was the chief theoretical physicist in building the
A-bomb and was the one President Kennedy turned to to assess the need to
resume nuclear testing.

At Cornell I had the opportunity to listen to the "great" one, Richard
Feynman, deliver the Messenger Lectures Series that the Mathematics
Department sponsored.  His lectures for the laity were titled "The Character
of Physical Law," which the BBC came from the UK to tape..

These lectures were then turned into an elementary book, entitled "The
Character of Physical Law."  Feynman was a great lecturer.  He worked for
Bethe on the Manhattan Project , handling the computations at Los Alamos.

Both Feynman and Bethe received Nobel Prizes in Physics - Bethe for
explaning the nuclear reaction on stars..

If some of you Licaflexers are engineers, you might find the 3-volume set -
The Feynman Lectures on Physics - most fascinating.  His students were
freshmen and sophomores. H. C. Van Ness a chemical engineering professor in
his thin book on "Understanding Thermodynamics," borrowed the approach of
Feynman in developing an understanding of the First Law. Van Ness went on to
say on page 2 if I recall that any serious student of engineering should be
reading out of Feynman's three-volume set on physics. These books are not
easy - for one must know some vector calculus.

The Feynman set has been  read by many graduate students to prepare them for
their qualifying exams.  I have the greatest respect for Cal Tech and still
turn to Feynman's Volumes I and II. Two of my Polish friends with doctorates
in physics tell me they enjoy reading out of Feynman's three volumes.

Feynman admitted that at times his lectures were too difficult for the
freshman students. At times though he had many professors in physics sitting
in on his freshman and sophomore classes to see how he taught physics.
Feynman was not only a great lecturer but also a safe cracker and a bongo
drummer. One time on the Manhattan Project at Los Alamos he cracked the
"security safe" for special documents and left the message inside, "Guess
Who?"  If the dial on the last setting had not been spun, he could take that
reading and soon figure out the combination of the safe.

Feynman in 1965 shared the Nobel Prize for his work on quantum
electrodynamics with Tomonaga from Japan and Schwinger from Harvard.  With
QED Feynman in an elementary book remarked how good QED was in computing the
the magnetic moment of the electron - something that has been experimentally
measured with great accuracy.  He said, "If you take the experimentally
measured value and represent it as a line stretching from LA to NYC and put
down beside it the value computed by QED, they differ by the width of a
human hair."  In 1965 the French (Jakob et al) won the Nobel Prize in
Medicine for their Lac-Opron model for the regulation of gene expression in
E. Coli - that was one of the great years for molecular biologists.

So in closing,  the discussion of the PA-12 brought back great memories for
me who had the opportunity to hear fantastic lecturers at Penn State and
Cornell.

Enjoy life.

I hope some of you have found my comments of interest.

Take care.

Kind regards,

Nevin who was born on June 20, 1936 and on tomorrow will have his first
Virtual Colonoscopy at the West Mifflin Imaging Associates Laboratory