[LRflex] Re: Request for advice

  • From: Sonny Carter <sonc.hegr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 08:00:34 -0600

Unless one is very famous already, I cannot fathom why a limited edition
would make your prints more valuable.
Perhaps you are very famous, but I wasn't aware of that.

I was just looking at some 1940-50's photography for sale here in New
Orleans yesterday, and though some prints were obviously from scanned
negatives, and newly printed by modern means, they had other prints from the
negatives  priced much higher. These were still making revenue for the
photographer's family.

I'm not so sure how well the "real" prints do against the others, but, once
you cut up the negative, that's it for "original prints."   You just have to
ask yourself if you are famous enough or productive enough to limit your
editions.

I imagine that among photographers who sell prints there are some shots that
sell over and over, despite the number sold, despite the price. "Moon
over..." comes to mind.  You can buy a print of that shot today in "A
Gallery for Fine Photography," just ten blocks from where I sit. I forgot
his asking price, but hey, No one cut up that negative, Thank God.

--
Regards,

Sonny
http://www.sonc.com