[LRFlex] Re: Report from Victoria

  • From: howard cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:21:25 +0800

Hi David,
It sounds like a wonderful time was had by all. I am sorry that I couldn't be there. Well done!
Howard
At 09:05 AM 26/04/04 -0700, you wrote:

All:

Well, the LHSA's "Spring Shoot", which I've been reminding everybody about for months, is over.

We had 64, the largest turnout ever for a "Spring Shoot". (After all, the "shoot" is the minor get-together, the major one being the annual convention in the fall.)

Members came from all over the US and Canada. One, LRFlex list member Alex Hurst, flew in from Ireland!

Friday gave us the only poor weather of the week, with a light shower for about 1 hour around 7 AM. Shortly after the sun came out, but it was windy (though warm), all day. Fortunately, this was the day most arrived and few photo opportunities were lost.
We had a "welcome reception" on Friday, followed by a sumptuous dinner in the Empress Hotel's Harbourside Room.

On Saturday, the weather co-operated, with no wind, beautiful blue skies and warm temperatures. Susan Koelink led a garden tour while Ted Grant led a "Photo-walk" around the inner harbour. Both were well attended.

In the evening, we had another reception and dinner. Ted Grant gave an excellent, after dinner talk and slide show, with of stories and anecdotes about shooting his new book - Women in Medicine - due out this coming July.

There was a lot of "show and tell", with odd bits of vintage gear turning up everywhere! I was gratified to see the number of "R" users - with lots of R5's, 6's & 7's as well as R8's and one R9 in evidence. I saw no SL's, but many said they had left theirs at home. :)

Tom Abrahamsson and Uwe Zum Hingst (www.rapidwinder.com) made a special edition "Softie" - the soft release they sell - and gave one to every member who attended! It is "ocean blue", with an Orca (killer whale) and "LHSA - 2004 Victoria B.C." engraved on it. Extremely generous, and much appreciated! Certainly, I'm delighted with mine!

Christian Erhardt, from Leica, USA, arrived with had a ton of equipment from their "Pro Pool" for their "Leica on Loan" program. Christian was a *very* busy man! Personally, I spent Saturday with the new Digilux 2 and Sunday with the 28mm/2.8 PC (Perspective- Control) Super Angulon! That is one amazing lens! :)

By the time the "Farewell Brunch" was over on Sunday morn, people were milling about, talking with newly made friends and very reluctant to see it all end.

I think everyone had a grand time. Rose and I made many new friends, as did most people. And, there is a real joy in putting a face to the names we see every few days. :)

As for me? Well, it took roughly 600 hours of my time to co-ordinate the whole thing, but it went of smoothly and countless people told me I had "raised the bar" for such events. I am both pleased with the outcome and exhausted!

At least now I can get back to life and enjoy the list.

Good to be here again! :)

Cheers!

David.

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm