[LRflex] Re: Replacement 'brighter' focusing screens

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:20:48 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

>I'm from Sydney and new to the list. My first question. I'm
>considering replacing the focusing screen in my R6.2 because I do not
>like split images and would prefer just ground glass or a central
>spot of microprisms. I would like to know what experience people have
>had with the so-called bright screen focusing screens, either from
>beattie (approx $100USD - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4399-
>REG/Beattie_82420_Intenscreen_for_Leica_R4_.html ) or the
>Brightscreen branded ones ( approx $200USD - http://
>www.brightscreen.com/styles.html )

Welcome to the list!  I've tried both the Beattie Intenscreen and the
Brightscreen in my R4s (matte with grid models) and I much prefer the
Brightscreen.  Even illumination and ease of focussing were the primary
differences, the Intenscreen showed a bright 'hot spot' in the center with
dramatic fall-off toward the edges, and was difficult to focus.  The
Brightscreen wasn't as bright as the Intenscreen's hot spot but it was much
more even across the entire screen and easier to focus overall.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com