[LRFlex] Re: Repainting lens engraving

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:55:09 -0700

At 10/7/2004, you wrote:

Reading Xavier's recent activity with thin brush and paint made me wonder why Leica reflex cameras and lenses seem to be so bad in this regard. (I have an SL2 and 2 cam lenses, so these are of course older vintage.) Other cameras and lenses of the same age, many much more modest in price and capability, have very few such problems. I have none of the patience of Xavier to undertake a similar task, and will live with my equipment as it is. But this seems to be a special failing of the early reflexes and lenses that's a little surprising, given the House of E. Leitz's quality standards.

Nick

Trust me, Nick. The problem is not just Leitz. Early Nikons, Canons, Contax and others all have the problem. But, like you, I have no idea why.

I rather like what Xavier's done. Building up the paint is relatively easy, and because they're engraved, unlike cheaper cameras which are silkscreened, you can fill the hole, and wipe a rag coated in solvent over the top to make a clean number/letter. :)

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm