[LRflex] Re: Red-brick Gothic

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 10:29:03 +0100

I think I'm getting nostalgic - after years of only collecting most everything interesting, and just putting things in a display cabinet - I've started thinking about using the things I hardly ever put a film through.

As soon as I get around to buying a new battery, my Contax RTS (first model) will be put through its paces for the first time in years. There are a couple of lenses I picked up recently that I want to try on it ( a "pancake" Tessar 2.8/45, and a Tessar 3.5/200).

Somehow I seem to be drifting away from digital a little - it makes you shoot too much rubbish between the keepers, if any - and getting back into shooting slides and negatives, the next step could be to concentrate on RF cameras again, I've still got a couple of Yashicas and Canons that haven't been used at all (a GX, an Electro 35 GSN, a Lynx 5000 and Canon P and 7) and I'm trying to get to terms with the quirks of using a Retina IIc with its interchangeable front elements too.

Another attempt at 6x6 wouldn't be a bad idea either, because it forces you to make every shot count.

Digital just makes life too easy, and you get into bad photographic habits. Because shooting in RAW format leaves so many options open for ignoring the basics of exposure and Photoshop can now rescue almost anything, I find myself forgetting to check the "best" parameters for a shot and just filling the card with loads of rubbish. So it's "back to the roots" when I find the time.
Best from Hannover
Douglas

a aa wrote:
Some 20 odd years ago I did contemplate the purchase of a 200/3003
system. Two of the smaller dealers I visited advised against purchase
back then on grounds of unreliability. At the time the 3003 had just
been announced and the 2000 had severely tarnished Rollei's
reputation..  I ended up with a fairly complete Contax-Yashica system
with CZ lenses, most of which I still have.