[LRflex] Re: Reading the LR2 manual.....

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 13:42:42 -0700

Steve commented::

they are either ahead of the game... or 6-7  years too late....

Hi Steve:

If, by "they", you mean Hr. Kaufmann and the current team at Leica, they cannot be "6 -7 years too late" as they have only been there about 2.5 years.

I know, from talking to both Hr. Kaufmann and Steven Lee, that Hr. Kaufmann has a great commitment to Leica and to the R system. This commitment is one of the reasons that Lee was hired... he was a long time R user, before coming to Leica.

Hr. Kaufmann knows, I'm sure, that he is "a day late and a dollar short", but he is committed to deliver an R10 that should satisfy most R users. I think it would be here, now, except for their desire to bring the S2 to market. With Leica's low production, high value products and long development cycles, the S2 is ideally suited for them. But they only have resources for one major project at a time.

The R10 will be a "tougher sell" for the general market...but I think that if they do it right (going for the R7 size/weight is a good start) the R10 will be introduced to great sales, as R users move to it as M users moved to the M8. Whether they can garner more of the general dSLR market, after that, will remain to be seen.

However, people buy small Nikons and Canons because the Pros use the large Nikons & Canons. If the S2 captures a decent share of the pro market, those looking for an upscale dSLR will buy the R10 because the Pros are using Leicas. Hell, it worked for me. In 1965, I bought a Nikon F because the pros were using them!

Only time will tell, but I think Leica is on the right track, even if it isn't the track for us, until sometime in 2010.