[LRflex] Re: R-Lenses on Canon EOS 1DS mark II

  • From: Philippe AMARD <philippe.amard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 18:56:40 +0200

Thanks John,
This is very interesting news indeed.
And such a mighty yummy list of lenses !

Will you post some photos, or a link to where you hide them?

Thanks again.
Phx

John Guthrie wrote:

Hi all

Normally I'm just content to read all the interesting posts, but thought that this may be of interest and help to some of you.

Needless to say I'm waiting patiently for the digital R10 or whatever it is going to be called, in the meantime I have used my R-lenses on the Olympus E system with an R-adapter but now I have purchased a Canon 1ds mark II plus a Leica-R to EOS AF confirm adapter.

On virtually all of the websites I have looked at there is a warning that the rear of some R-lenses will foul the mirror on the Canon, naturally I assumed that this was correct.

Out of curiosity I tried the adapter on my 19mm ROM to see how much it protruded and to my surprise the back end did not protrude any further than the 50mm Summicron. To cut a long story short the 19mm works perfectly on the 1DS series (with an adapter that I got off eBay)

I have now tried all my lenses on the adapter and they all work just fine with No mirror problems, sadly I don't have all the latest lenses to try (no luck on the lottery yet!).

Here are the wide lenses that I used:

15mm f3.5 Super Elmar  - Serial   3217***

19mm f2.8 Elmarit ROM  - Serial 3879***

21mm f4 Super Angulon  - Serial 3120***

24mm f2.8 Elmarit  - Serial 2905***

28mm f2.8 Elmarit ROM  - Serial 3700***

28mm f2.8 PC Super Angulon  - Serial 3491***

35mm f 2.8 Elmarit  - Serial 3234***

I haven't listed any lens over 35mm focal length but there is no problem with any of them.

Regards

John

(SL2, R7's with lenses 15mm to 500mm)