[LRflex] RAW vs JPEG fine??

  • From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2009 13:06:52 +0100

Hi all.

I know this is a hoary old chestnut, but a reiteration of your views for the benefit of a tyro would be much appreciated

I've just acquired a very nice ex-demo black M8 body which comes with Capture One, not to mention the full Leica Passport. It's now mated to my Nocti, which is probably my M8 lens of choice most of the time.

As I'm a Mac man, I tend to use iPhoto as my main photo library, and edit in Photoshop.

To date with my Nikon D200 I've been very happy with the quality of the fine JPEGs (printing to a maximum size of A4), and haven't even dabbled in RAW.

But, as Capture One appears to be highly-rated, is it really worth learning its ins and outs to extract ultimate quality from the M8 in RAW, or should I stick to fine JPEGs and my usual routine as with the Nikon?

I emphasise that I'm not going to be producing huge exhibition prints, and the M8, like the Nikon, seems to produce 10Mb files in fine JPEG mode.

With my current set-up, editing is very quick. I have the impression that RAW is a lot more time-consuming, but I may be mistaken.

What do you guys do and why?

Best of light.

Alex
--