[LRflex] Re: R9/DMR erratic metering

  • From: telyt@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 11:01:59 -0800

Quoting Jonathan Lee <jlee@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi everyone,
>
> My R9/DMR started behaving funny this weekend.  Sporadically, the meter
> would decide that an exposure in the range of 1-2 seconds was
> necessary.  The next shot would be fine and then the problem would
> disappear for a while and then come back again.  Both the R9 and DMR
> are under warranty but I don't want to lose it over Xmas, especially
> since the problem is sporadic.  I had the problem with both a ROM and
> 3-cam lens so I don't think that lens contacts are the root.

Hi Johnathan!

As Alex mentioned... that's what happened with my R8.  It decided, after a few
intermittent runs at failing, that 1/4 secoond was the correct exposure for
all f-stops, ISOs and light conditions.

Call Jerry at Kindermann.  Jerry was off, for a while, with (I think) a heart
attack, but I understand he's back.  A really nice guy, and a heck of tech, as
are his crew.  Kindermann (Toronto) are the warranty depot for Canada.

Get it in to them, soon after the holidays, as with mine, it was intermittent
for about 2 weeks, and then, suddenly and completely "went south".

I will likely never know if the meter cell was the problem with my R8, for
while mine was at Leica, their roof failed and the leaking water severely
damaged my R8+DMR and 80~200/4 Vario.  They replaced the camera (yes,
Virginia, they still have brand new R8's in the warehouse!), fixed the lens
and gave me a new power unit (lower half) for the DMR. However they insisted
the DMR, itself, was fine.  That proved not to be so, as it developed an
intermittent problem just 48 hours after it's return to me.

It was back in Solms on Dec. 4th and we are still having words about this, as
I am trying to hold them to a promise they made to replace the DMR, but Solms'
service dept now tell me they want to attempt repair, once more.

I have had lots of work done, over the years, by Kindermann and trust me,
Johnathan, their work is excellent and the service at Kindermann is far
superior to the service given by Solms.

Good luck with it!

Merry Christmas to you and to all on the list!

David (in Northern Alberta - where it's unseasonably warm at +1C!) Young.