[LRflex] Re: R3 question possible solutions

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 23:30:27 +0100

Another R3 (MOT) user (but not very often)  here,
I still think it's a very good camera (and I don't particularly care if it is a Minolta ´hybrid').

One reason for the camera not firing is when the frame counter has reached 36. It needs resetting before you can fire the shutter again - at least this applies to the MOT version, I'm not sure about the plain R3. The reset function is goverened by a small tab on the top of the back releasing a pin located inside the body just below the frame counter window - if this pin is stuck, the frame counter will not reset.

The problem with the back may be something to do with the release activate by pulling up the rewind knob.

Take a look at the locking mechanism with the back open and pull up the knob - is the hook of the lock moving? If this hook is jammed about 2 or 3mm above centre, it won't engage the hook on the back panel. try moving it up and down it might just be stiff from not having been used so much.

If it does move and is centered, then take a look at the similar hook on the inside of the back - is it parallel to the thin flap of the back or is it bent?

These two hooks must have the same clearance from the body or the back to be able to interlock. If they dont line up, a little gentle levering with the blade of a screwdriver might help to get them back into position.

Maybe the solution for your problem is one of the above - I hope so!

Cheers from the Land of Leica

Douglas

Miha Golobic wrote:
Hi Noel,

nice to hear someone is using R3. Reading the internet one gets the
impression that this particular camera has no fans any more. It was my
step in to the R system (as you probably know already), and I do not
regret it. Right now I m in the position of buying another R or Flex.
Still the internet and this forum particulary are my main source of
gathering the information about the Leica. And the more I learn the
more I realize that the R3 design brings some features missing in
following R cameras. In particular a) it s spot meter which is a
derivate of Leicaflex with extremely narrow acceptance angle and very
accurate mettering (although my camera seems to underexspose by one
stop in the integral metering mode or may be my lack of experience),
b) very good mirror damping more so than other R camera (excluding
R8/9), and last but not least c)  very short shutter lag. In my
opinion these are three major points where the R3 beats the R4,5,6,7
cameras.

I would love to hear your opinion.

Best regards,
Miha

2008/11/7 Noel Yates <noel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
At 07:02 04/11/2008, you wrote:
To be honnest, I went thru the user's manual but could not find a proper
answer. But in my experience (I have a R7), the back is mechanically
attached to the camera and if you had said, it does not fire, yes, this is a
problem with the batteries

Here, I would suspect a jammed or seized lock, the manual may provide you
with the proper place to start looking in.
Dear All,

The R3 will fire at 1/90th and B with no batteries, if the back will not
close that is purely a mechanical problem with the back.

Kind regards,

Noel

(R3/R3MOT user since 1987)