[LRflex] Re: R(10)ead on another list - in English

  • From: yong chang <ri_chang@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 06:43:32 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,

  They use PayPal now.

Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx> wrote:
  /Steve,
/

We are certain, at least as far as one can be certain without having
seen the camera in real life: A digital Leica R SLR will be shown at the
Leica booth at the Photokina 2008:/

As we have heard from a reliable source, Leica is determined to show a
digital R at the Photokina 2008, and as far as possible, not a "God only
knows when we can deliver" prototype, but as a soon to be marketed
camera. According to our source, work on this camera is progressing at
top speed. Our information is as reliable as it can be at a stage when
the camera is not yet to be seen in a showcase at the Photokina: Very
reliable, but not immune to unforeseen circumstances.

We were unable to gather much more information than this: The sensor
will be supplied by a manufacturer that is (also) an OEM supplier. This
infers, for instance, Kodak, Sony or Imacon. (collaboration with Imacon
is already known from the somewhat unfortunate DMR) A full-format sensor
with 24x36 mm seems just as probable as resolution beyond 15 megapixels
?but this is still pure speculation. Full-format intentions have
already been heard from Leica, intentions that were however later
emphatically denied.

If Leica intends to maintain the same naming conventions as used for the
M-series, then the next Leica SLR will simply be an R10 by name.

By the way, the small photo above shows the R9, because no one has seen
an R10 yet.

Who do I send my invoice to?

Douglas M. Sharp
G2E Translations - Hannover