[LRflex] Re: R10 fantasy

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:10:59 -0700

Hi all,

I like Doug's ideas; he is on the right track, and way ahead of me.

The modular approach is used in such sophisticated areas as aircraft
and many other fields, especially in computers, software, and
peripherals: the latter all modular, mix and match, though not
without pain from time to time.

As an aside, in a crude way, Doug's modular approach has been in
place in the Leica R cameras for years. There were, however, only
three modules:

The first is the Lens Module (all R lenses), a second the R Body
Module (all R film-and-shutter-holders), and the third the Film
Module (the universe of 35mm film); any of each module was usable
with any of the other two modules.

I now realize that different film backs for various cameras were also
in fact a further modularization, albeit a simple one, and that flash
guns (I am old enough to call them that) can also be viewed as
another "Camera System Module."

Doug's ideas simply (or not-so-simply!) extend modularization to the
next level, into the camera body itself.

In the same church as Doug has suggested, but from a slightly
different pew, here is the comment I added to the survey I sent  to
our "fearless leader," David:

"It is very important to me that some upgrade path be provided for
R8s and R9s, other than scrap and replace them with R10s. By that I
mean provide a way to back-fit the new R10 technology, or some of it,
into the DMR for the R8s and R9s, even if it is a factory job or
means a trip to New Jersey.

"Maybe just a sensor change for a couple of thousand dollars, keeping
all else the same. Or a new sensor and a smaller/more long lasting
battery with smaller weight and envelope.

"Cost probably dictates keeping the same DMR and winder envelope but
changing battery, sensor and computer technology inside it. I'd buy a
DMR Rev 1 [or retrofit  my original] before a whole new R10."

With the speed of change now in progress in digital photography,
modular retrofit seems to make technological, marketing, and economic
sense to me, especially viewed in light of the modular scheme so
eloquently described by Doug.

Leica could revolutionize the industry; they have, wittingly or
unwittingly, crept up to the brink of the modular camera, and it
seems doable.

All the best,

Bill