[LRflex] Re: R10 - CosinaVoigtländer?

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:29:47 +0200

I have been reading the German threads, the only thing that really comes across is that there is a lot of wishful thinking going on and that many Leica fans are very disappointed.

On the other hand, I think a lot of people are just expecting too much from a small, fringe company that has limited assets and is in the middle of a global, and of course local German, financial crisis.

I reckon that Leica currently has plenty of problems that are a lot bigger than satisfying the demands of R-users. As usual, the people at Leica are being very cagey, on the one hand they don't want to scare off their fans, on the other the don't want to promise what they can't deliver.

On a happier note - the much maligned white edition M8 has apparently sold out.

The current economic situation is hitting small and medium scale businesses here very hard, so whatever will be happening soon will be in the face of a lot of pressure from the credit providers who have very tight purse strings.

In my opinion, Leica will have to join with other companies to offer a range significantly below the S2, at the top of my list are Cosina and Panasonic.

Cheers
Douglas

a aa wrote:
Hi Douglas,

Over on the l-camera-forum there was some discussion over whether the
digital R solution proposed  by the Leica Product Manager was merely
'adequate' or in fact 'good'. Also whether there would be 'no R-10' or
no 'R-10 made by Leica'.

Have you seen the German language threads on this topic, and, if so,
are they clearer?

Yes, it is like reading tea leaves, I know, but we are all wondering.

Regards,

2009/6/13 Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>:
My guess is Cosina,

They are the only independent, reasonably sized and high quality company
with a boss who has declared an undying passion for Leica and, what's more
important, they aren't producing a competing camera. They also have plenty
of experience producing equipment for the other top brands

I wouldn't be at all surprised at all if they weren't working something out
with Leica.

Cheers
Douglas

begin:vcard
fn:Douglas M. Sharp
n:Sharp;Douglas M.
org:30629 Hannover, Germany;Annette-Kolb-Strasse 29
email;internet:Douglas.Sharp@xxxxxx
title:G2E Translations
tel;work:0049 0511 9585565
version:2.1