[LRflex] R lenses on Sigma modified body

  • From: H&ECummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2009 23:57:13 +0800

Hi Flexers,
You learn something new every day. Thanks to Walter for pointing the way to the Sigma conversion site. I read all the sections with interest - the information feeding the "gear-head" in me! The foveon chip is an interesting variation on what is available from other manufacturers and I decided to look at the various reviews for the DP 14 and earlier models. Slowly my enthusiasm waned. High ISO low noise performance did not seem so great. But the real dampener was the 1.7 crop factor. If you want to see the performance of Leica R wide angles then the Sigma is not for me. For telephotos I can see the advantage of the crop factor. Going through the example of exchanging the mount I concluded that it was a much more complex exercise than changing the bayonets on R lenses and that put me off. So, for me at least, I concluded that going the Sigma route would not be as satisfying as going the Leitax Nikon route. Having said that, if a photog's requirements are for telephoto work in bright light conditions - the Sigma conversion might work very well for that photog. Again thanks to Walter for pointing out this alternative and for posting the lovely photos that show that the conversion works well for him.
Cheers
Howard ------