[LRflex] Re: R lenses on Nikon DSLRs using the Leitax bayonets

  • From: <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 18:07:04 +0200 (CEST)

Steve,

go to the Leitax site they provide a list with detailed explanations - in doubt
ask them. I have, they answered me within 12 hours at a weekend ...

Amitiés
Philippe, just landed inStrasbourg

Message du 19/08/09 17:44
De : "Steve Barbour"
A : leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Copie à :
Objet : [LRflex] Re: R lenses on Nikon DSLRs using the Leitax bayonets

On Aug 19, 2009, at 7:50 AM, H&ECummer wrote:

Hi Flexers,
I am on a slow internet connection here at the cabin on Pender Island so I
haven't been following the digests too closely. It is frustrating when you want
to look at posted pictures and it takes so long for them to load - if ever.
But, this morning I am up early, the net has little traffic and I have followed
the discussion about using R lenses on other digital platforms with interest.
Most comments mirror my own experience. I have tried all routes, except the DMR
back. David's experience put me off that. I have used adapters to put R lenses
on Canon DSLRs from the D60 all the way to the 5D and even the 1D MkII. There
are lens clearance issues with the 5D (check Fred Miranda's site for a very
long review of that - 100's of pages) and the exposure is non linear as you
stop down. Focusing wides is problematic. I used R lenses with Chinese made
adapters on the Oly 330E and later on the E3. They worked reasonably well but
it is stop down metering and hi ISO low noise performance left something to be
desired. Finally, I tried the leitax bayonet change and first used R lenses on
the Nikon D300 which I later upgraded to a D700. This is easy to do, as Doug
says, it is completely reversible, and if you go to the Leitax site and look at
the conversion for the first edition Elmarit 19 - the photos are mine. I have
converted the following Leica R lenses - 19 Elmarit 1st version (second has
mirror clearance issues as do some other lenses as Philippe points out)

where is the short list of Leica R lenses that cannot be converted for the
Nikon D700...
I'd love to have the NO list, and the YES list...

maybe we can recreate it here...?

thanks

Steve

90mm Summicron, 100mm Macro Elmarit, 180mm Telyt APO f3.4. If you go to:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/R+lenses+on+Nikon+D700/

http://tinyurl.com/cq98dk

you can see the results of using the lenses on the D700. With the D700 exposure
shifts are linear - no exposure problems as with the Canon 5D. You can focus
stopped down to about f5.6 - but there is a natural tendency to shot Leica
lenses wide open - so stop down metering is not commonly used or required. Live
view can also be used but it is slow and clumsy. The D700 has the best high ISO
low noise performance of any digital camera I have ever owned and its menus and
ergonomics are well thought out. I have the function button set at the front so
that when I change R lenses I can dial in the new focal length with a push of
that button and a twirl of the wheel at the back of the camera. You can set up
to 8 or 9 focal lengths and apertures for non auto lenses. Only Nikon digitals
(D200, D300 D700 and D3) provides that option. The D700 is (relatively)
expensive but works well - and should be falling in price shortly as a new
model is coming out. If they mess with the low noise high ISO performance by
introducing more pixels - I won't be upgrading.

Cheers
Howard

best,

Steve