[LRflex] Re: R lenses on Nikon DSLRs using the Leitax bayonets

  • From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 07:58:38 -0700

thanks Howard, wonderful and much appreciated,

Steve

On Aug 19, 2009, at 7:50 AM, H&ECummer wrote:

Hi Flexers,
I am on a slow internet connection here at the cabin on Pender Island so I haven't been following the digests too closely. It is frustrating when you want to look at posted pictures and it takes so long for them to load - if ever. But, this morning I am up early, the net has little traffic and I have followed the discussion about using R lenses on other digital platforms with interest. Most comments mirror my own experience. I have tried all routes, except the DMR back. David's experience put me off that. I have used adapters to put R lenses on Canon DSLRs from the D60 all the way to the 5D and even the 1D MkII. There are lens clearance issues with the 5D (check Fred Miranda's site for a very long review of that - 100's of pages) and the exposure is non linear as you stop down. Focusing wides is problematic. I used R lenses with Chinese made adapters on the Oly 330E and later on the E3. They worked reasonably well but it is stop down metering and hi ISO low noise performance left something to be desired. Finally, I tried the leitax bayonet change and first used R lenses on the Nikon D300 which I later upgraded to a D700. This is easy to do, as Doug says, it is completely reversible, and if you go to the Leitax site and look at the conversion for the first edition Elmarit 19 - the photos are mine. I have converted the following Leica R lenses - 19 Elmarit 1st version (second has mirror clearance issues as do some other lenses as Philippe points out) 90mm Summicron, 100mm Macro Elmarit, 180mm Telyt APO f3.4. If you go to:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/R+lenses+on+Nikon+D700/

http://tinyurl.com/cq98dk

you can see the results of using the lenses on the D700. With the D700 exposure shifts are linear - no exposure problems as with the Canon 5D. You can focus stopped down to about f5.6 - but there is a natural tendency to shot Leica lenses wide open - so stop down metering is not commonly used or required. Live view can also be used but it is slow and clumsy. The D700 has the best high ISO low noise performance of any digital camera I have ever owned and its menus and ergonomics are well thought out. I have the function button set at the front so that when I change R lenses I can dial in the new focal length with a push of that button and a twirl of the wheel at the back of the camera. You can set up to 8 or 9 focal lengths and apertures for non auto lenses. Only Nikon digitals (D200, D300 D700 and D3) provides that option. The D700 is (relatively) expensive but works well - and should be falling in price shortly as a new model is coming out. If they mess with the low noise high ISO performance by introducing more pixels - I won't be upgrading.

Cheers
Howard

best,

Steve