[LRflex] Re: R lens users

  • From: "walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 13:46:24 +0800

Just my two cents worth on this.

The only way I can see Leica practically accommodating R lenses on Digital and
still sell some new product rather than servicing a discontinued line is to
offer
an LX1 style camera with interchangable lenses. I say LX1 style because Leica
seems
to maintain that 4/3rds is no good.

Such a camera could have an EVF like the Pana G1 and accept an R adapter.  One
would still need to deal with the crop factor.  New wider angle lenses would be
offered with the new system and these would fill the gap for existing R users
for
wider focal lengths.

One can already do this on micro four thirds offerings and prime wider angle
lenses
for micro 4/3rd are becoming available, I believe there is a 45mm macro from
'Leica' just released by Panasonic also.

I purchased a Pana G1 to mount some of my old Konica and Nikon lenses and have
just
received an adapter which allows me to mount my Leice glass.  I should have a
chance to do some test shots over the weekend and if people are interested can
post
some on Flickr. Early indications are good and the higher resolution, 12+
megapixels seems to make a difference compared to the standard four thirds
configuration that came with the Pana DMC-L1 and Leica Digilux 3. ISO
performance
has been improved but not in the same league as Nikon.

Walter

On Wed Sep  9 21:39 , Hiep Phan <hiepvophan@xxxxxxxxx> sent:

>Hello guys,
>
>I'm Hiep, pretty much new to this forums. I just got my Leica Summicron 180/2
today, and already got my Elmarit 100 macro. However, I am not going to shoot
with
a Leica body. Instead, I am going to shoot these two on my Sony A900. There is
perfectly reversible process to change the mount of a R lens to Alpha mount
from
Leitax.com. Or for a less risky option, you can always get a Canon 5D Mark II
and a
compatible adapter and you can readily shoot these gems on a digital back. As
far
as I know, Nikon would be able to use R lenses via Leitax conversion as well.
So
these are the three Full Frame options that you guys can migrate over to the
digital world. I doubt that the very first R digital back from Leica would be a
full frame. However, I got a rumor that Leica is planning to have a digital
system
that will use R lens. But a rumor is a rumor.