[LRflex] Re: R System les on the new M (typ 240)

  • From: "George A. Furst" <gfurst01568@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2013 07:58:53 -0400 (EDT)

Dear Howard and LRflex team,

I totally disagree with your assessment of the new solution to the R system. I
did purchase the M (typ 240) for using my R glass on a full frame camera. I did
not like the feeling and weight of the Cannon 5D Mark III or the size of the
earlier Leica solution DMR. I really love this camera. I find the EVF to work
very well and with the R to M adapter, which I hand coded to bring up the R
lenses, I enjoy the smaller size of the camera and the ability to use my
excellent M glass when I choose. This is the solution I have been waiting for
and I only say to you doubters try the R lens on one and download the pictures.
They have excellent dynamic range as discussed below. I have many pictures
posted on the M users site on facebook that were taken with the R glass .

I have been using the new M camera camera for two months now and really love
it. I even had a chance to compare it to the above Cannon.  My friend who has a
home on the West Coast of Korea invited me to come stay for a week during mid
term exams at my university when I have no classes. He has a Cannon 5D Mark III
and was curious about the difference between that camera and my recently
purchased Leica M (Typ 240). We both have the excellent Vario-Elmar-R
3.5-4/21-35 ASPH lens and it is his favorite lens on the Cannon (he had the
mirror shaved to use the lens on his Cannon). Using the same lens on his Cannon
and the same ISO and f stop and I using the M with a R to M adapter and the
EVF, we set out to take pictures at the ocean, in the mountains, at a Buddhist
temple and a large brick cathedral. We spent the whole week photographing as
many different scenes as possible (over 300 pictures). Each evening we posted
the day's photos in jpag (No photoshop) onto the computer and compared the
photos side by side (two screens). At the end of the week we both came to the
same conclusion- the M photographs had more dynamic range of colors and better
resolution of details than the Cannon photographs. This is not a scientific
test, and no tripods were used, but a test by two advanced amateurs (He is a
adjunct professor of photography at a local university) of the 5D Mark III and
the new Leica M. The context was that he was considering replacing his Cannon
with the new M.

At the end of the week did he decide to change cameras, NO! The reason was that
he wished to wait for the next M as he had recently purchased a M9P and
although the results indicated the new M performed very well, he did not wish
at this time to move on. He did like the weight and size of the new M but these
were not enough to move to the new camera. Also he is very conservative and
wants to wait before purchasing as there are so many new features on the new M,
he wishes to see how they pan out. (I posted the above on LUG)

I especially love the pictures taken with the Summilux-R 1.4/80 and the
Apo-Macro-Elmarit-R 2.8/100. Sincerely, George in Korea

Hi Wally,
Several years ago Leica elected to develop the S system and to stop the
development of the R10 film replacement for the R9. They sold off their
inventory of R lenses at deep discounts. They promised to diehard R enthusiasts
that an "adequate solution" to using R lenses would be provided and that is now
the M 240 which can take R lenses with an adaptor and focus them using live
view
on the LCD or the EVF. As Philippe says no one knows if this is an "adequate
solution" as no one has really used the system in real shooting situations due
to unavailability of cameras and adaptors. My view is that for moving subjects
the solution will not be adequate due to a) the magnified shaking when trying
focus lenses with the EVF / LCD using magnification and b) shutter lag due to
the closing of the shutter (after focusing with the shutter open) followed by
opening and closing of the shutter to take the picture. The decisive moment
will
be long gone. Also there is no auto aperture in this set up. So, in sum, it is
my view that Leica effectively has abandoned the R system as a viable picture
taking tool - but depending on for requirements - that may the too extreme a
view.
Bests
Howard
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2013 08:22:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Wallace Tabor <wetabor@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V10 #156

Hello
I'm slow at keeping up!  Is it true that Leica Camera Group has discontinued
the
entire R System?

Wally Tabor