[LRflex] Re: R 80-200 f4.0 Vario Elmar R

  • From: telyt@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2005 10:02:14 -0700

Quoting Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>:

> I am looking at this lens, good shape, good price...considering a
> buy, and I'd like input from those who may be using it regarding its
> optical quality, and satisfaction issues from experienced Leica R
> photographers...
>
> yours thoughts are much appreciated,
>
> Steve

HI Steve!

Sorry to be so late jumping in, but I'm traveling.

The 80~200/4 Vario is a superb lens... sharper than my 180 Elmar, and as sharp
asa all but the very finest current series ASPH/APO lenses.  Probably the most
underrated lens in the Leica line-up.

Build quality is superb... I don't see the pincushion distrotion that Doug
reports, though it is 'normal' for zooms to do this.  However, distortion
throughout the range is very well controlled, that's for sure.

It's my favourite lens.

If you have specific questions/concerns email me...I'll be home again on
Tuesday.

Cheers!

David.