[LRflex] Re: R 2x APO Extender Question

  • From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:34:29 -0700

I agree that it looks like mechanical vignetting, thus my question about hoods,
etc.

I use the 400 Telyt with my Nikon 2x and the 1.4x, and no signs of this kind of
mischief.  Yes, totally different setup.  ( Ditto
the results with my 2x Mutar on my Blad).

I thought the converters spread out the angle of the rays to double, thus
decreasing the angle of view by a factor of 2.   If I were
to examine the 2x ( non APO) I would look for a big length of distance from the
rear element to the lens mount..... figuring the
vignetting was caused by the rear of the 2x ( or slightly inside).  I would
also look at the APO and determine if that same distance
were greater....or lesser.

I stand very confused.......

Frank Filippone
red735i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Probably.    My suspicion (I have no proof) is that the lens
diameter, within the 2x is smaller than the lens diameter in the APO
converter.  But, when I had the APO, I tested it (I had it only for a
short time) but neglected to measure lens diameters.  In other words,
I think the problem is mechanical, not optical.  Result is the same!

>I have never seen this effect with all the teleconverters I have had
>over a number of years.....  (

Neither have I, except for this combination.  As I said, the APO
converter does not do this.