[LRflex] Re: Question-LumixL1-LeicaD3

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:10:45 -0800

Philippe Amard wrote:

>Since I got Panaleicaed over the weekend, I was curious to see if I
>could get the ring adapter from Leica and use my older lenses on the newcomer.

Leica have a part number for the adapter, but I do not believe that
is available, just yet.  Coming soon, to a dealer near you!

There are, however, a number of Hong Kong and Chinese made adapters
available for Leica-R to 4/3rds mount.   A quick search of Google or
*bay might put you on to  one.  Perhaps our Hong Kong "secret agent",
Howard Cummer can shed some light on this for you.

>I visited the Leica site for the reference number and discovered
>that the instructions for use of the D3 are free for download. At
>first sight, there ARE differences, in the menu for example; 4 pages
>or screens instead of three. More options are apparently offered.

Underneath the skin, the cameras are the same.  But Leica do offer
their own firmware.

>So the question is: can one upgrade a Lumix thanks to Leica
>software. If so, how to upgrade? and, what are the risks?
>(I know David, that's three questions, in one ;-) )

Sorry.  My answers are:  I don't know, I don't know, and I don't know!

Anybody else have better information?