[LRflex] Professional Tourist

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:06:53 -0700

Professional to Tourist

In some old world cities like Rome & Athens professional photographers are

charged to photograph within their  historic sites.  I first came across

this situation at the Forum ruins in Rome where I had intended to shoot a

number of scenes for a stock photo agency .

There is an admission fee for entrance to the area, but when I went

through with equipment bags and tripod I was asked if I was a professional

photographer. "Yes, I'm shooting material to take to Canada," I replied

truthfully..

This was an unfortunate admission on my part as professional photographers

must pay an extra fee of 100 Lire for there pictures. I could accept  that
for a day of shooting

within the ruins.

Then my interpreter discovered the fee was for each exposure.  I asked did

they mean each different location or each time I exposed a frame?  The fee

was charged for every time the camera went click! Imagine a 36 exposure

roll was going to cost 3600 Lire.  I probably would shoot 10 or twenty

rolls during the day and that got to be very very expensive and that was

more than I could accept!

We returned to the car, unloaded the camera bags and tripod into the trunk,

filled our pockets with film, slung cameras on our neck returning to the

entrance as tourists.

Admission fee paid and ticket in hand we entered unchallenged.  When we

finished the day 30 rolls of 36 exposure Kodachrome were exposed.  It

didn't take much to calculate the shooting fee would have been 108,000

thousand Lire. If I was paid that amount to shoot the assignment I wouldn't

feel too bad, but to have paid it out, not on your life.

Sometimes it pays to be a professional tourist!