[LRflex] Re: Poppies - a question.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 07:51:51 -0800

Thanks, Alex! Good to know.

Anybody else, somewhere else???

David.

Yep - big in the UK too.

The moat at the Tower of London was filled with ceramic poppies on
the centenary of WW1:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/poppies/about-the-installation

That's in addition to the millions worn, which are made by
ex-servicemen of the Brtish Legion.

They're even creeping into Ireland too - for a long while the many
heroic Irishmen who served and died in both wars were more or less
shunned in the country of their birth.

Alex

David asked:

Fellow Flexers:

I posted my "bag with poppy" photo, Wednesday morn.

As I put the poppy on my bag, I thought it would be good post an
image; to remember and honour, all who have died in wars to protect
our freedom.

Afterwards, I wondered if anybody outside Canada would get the significance.

Here, the War Vets make poppies, all year long, and sell them for
Nov. 11th, Remembrance Day, also known as Armistice Day in some
countries, to raise money that helps young amputees.

The poppy has become the national symbol of remembrance in Canada
and grows from the poem "In Flanders Field", written by Canadian
Artillery Commander and Brigade Doctor, John McCrae, during WWI.
Every Canadian kid since WW2 can recite the poem, by heart....
though I admit I'm getting a wee bit rusty.

For those interested and who might not know, the story and poem is
here:
http://www.greatwar.co.uk/poems/john-mccrae-in-flanders-fields.htm

I don't know if people "do" poppies, elsewhere, as a symbol of
remembrance. Is it uniquely a Canuck thing to do? Or do other
countries use the symbol, as well.

Answers, on and off list, greatly appreciated.

David.