[LRFlex] Re: Polarizer

  • From: " Dr. Elliot Puritz" <drpuritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 14:47:38 -0500

Thanks so much Kent. I think the issue of circular versus linear is addressed by Leica. Did you use the thin versions on your zoom lenses?

The entire question arose when I was thumbing through Eastland's book on the R8. My wife and I are heading to Buenos Aires and Santiago, with lots of stops in between, and I was thinking of which camera system to take...the M versus the R. With the R I thought I should consider some polarizers since we will be going to the Andes Lake District which separates Argentina from Chile. I took a quick look at my 28-70 and noted that the rotation of the front element might interfere with the ability to rotate the filter. To my surprise, Eastland indeed mentions that, "The design of this objective prohibits the satisfactory use of a circular polarizing filter. The depth of the filter mount causes some vignetting at the shorter focal length range and the retracting front element prevents rotation of the filter when the lens is used at longer focal lengths". I had called several dealers BEFORE reading Eastland to ask them if their observations were the same as mine, and they both said, in effect, no sweat, get the standard E 60 Polarizer, I was wrong! Of course, the next issue was Leica ( very costly ) versus another brand, but I thought I needed more advice since the dealers differed from Eastland's advice, and my observation. To decide the issue I asked our friends on the thread, and the consensus seems to be that the thin filter is the way to go. Unexpectedly, I received an education on linear versus circular polarizers vis-a-vis the R system!! The response proves how very lucky we all are to have members who are so well informed, and so willing to share information freely and easily.

I almost hesitate to ask....Leica versus third party? My inclination is to go with a third party...

Let me issue a very sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time and trouble to respond. Again, what a great group to be a member of! I only wish more of us could have the opportunity to meet personally.

Elliot
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kent Christensen" <lkchris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>