[LRflex] Plugs

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 08:04:11 -0700

Good Mornin'!

Throughout North America, there are many hundreds of licensed, wilderness outfitters. These are people who take hunters, photographers and simple pleasure seekers on horseback treks into the wilderness, often hundreds of miles from the nearest human habitation, for weeks at a time.

Of these, just a dozen - perhaps fewer - are women. My wife, Rose, is one of them... though she retired from that business over a decade ago.

Rose had two old plugs .. Banjo and Archie. These old guys are retired pack horses, from the days when Rose ran her own outfitting business ("Wild Rose Outfitting") who were used to packing 400 pounds of gear over steep mountain trails of the Willmore Wilderness, for a living.

Three years ago, she gifted them to our nieces, Marissa & Jenaya. The girls were 10, the "boys", Banj & Archie, were "just" 25.

Now the old boys are 28, and the girls have them show jumping!

Show jumping is a sport for much younger horses (32 is a very old horse!) trained to it from "colt-hood". Thus, the following shot is not about the quality of photography, but testimony to what two determined young ladies can do with a couple of old plugs!

http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/Banjo_1.htm

Comments, criticism and advice appreciated, as always.

Thanks for looking.