[LRFlex] Photokina - latest

  • From: "Douglas M. Sharp" <DouglasMSharp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Leica Users Group <lug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LeicaReflex <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LUC <luc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, MUG <MUGers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, rflist <rflist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, SLRMAN <slrman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rollei <rollei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:25:07 +0200

Just got back from the Photokina about 15 minutes ago with steaming feet and tired out.

Voigtländer : Was able to play with the R3A and R2A, both very nice solidly built cameras, the R2A was a pre-production prototype
and obviously not feeling very well . BIG SURPRISE - the Ringfoto rep and the Voitländer man both put the price as BELOW that of the R2 !!!!!!!!!. They quoted 699 Euros as the expected rrp.

Cosina / Epson RD-1 : a lot of these to play with, again very solid chunky build, the controls on the back are NOT intuitive and the
LCD pad is a fingernail destroyer. The Epson people couldn't or wouldn't give me a definitive price for the European market.

ZEISS : The Zeiss Ikon is very real, as are the lenses and all are beautifully finished, the aux. finders look a little delicate.
A beautifully simple clean design and feels qualitively superb, the back door of the prototype I handled seemed to be a little weak,
but I didn't get the chance to look at it in detail, so many others were wanting to play.
The PRICE : Very probably between 1500 and 1800 euros, this may be revised closer to the release date, no price info on lenses
available as yet. The Zeiss people are all VERY excited about the Ikon.

LEICA : The a la carte leicas are a wonderful way of ruining a perfect camera - Leica says that all the finishes offered are as a result
of customer demands/enquiries, they pull out what looks like a furnishing catalogue with leather samples and metal finishes and
away you go. As most of you already know I still don't like the styling of the R9 - we've been into this before - it is a very ergonomic
machine, I just don't like it a personal thing which brooks no argument. However, the Digital Back is there and up and running,
still costs 4500 euros but for each R9 and lens you buy you can get 250 euros off the price of the back. It is a real nose squasher
and stands quite a way off the back of the camera.

More tomorrow,with a couple of snapshots. It's late here in Europe and I'm away to my bed.
Cheers
Douglas

   www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm