[LRflex] Re: Photo of a lifetime...

  • From: W.B. Abbott <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 09:40:24 -0700

David,

Thanks. We've talked about cropping before and I agree, cropping sometimes find
a great picture hiding in an entire frame.

The old time photo editors of Life magazine and the National Geographic are my
gold standards for "how to crop," not because they are the "best" but only
because I grew up looking at their work. Cropping does not seem to be a subject
that has attracted a lot of theoretical interest; I believe it is wholly an
artistic matter.

Some current TV cropping goes against the traditional wisdom but works very
well. An example is cropping the top of a person's head off, which would never
be done in portraiture but is common now on TV, in magazines and some of my
photos too. Times change.

All the best,

Bill