[LRflex] Paris and its Photo annual fair

  • From: Bille Xavier F. <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2013 00:10:36 +0100

Good Day Flexers

As every year, I go to the Paris Photo fair. It's a good opportunity to touch
and feel the products, to build own's opinion.

As we are Leica in the soul, here is the 'Temple':

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo_2013/DSCF3903_dev.jpg

But to me, the real camera of interest was this one, presented by a charming
stewardess:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo_2013/DSCF3901_dev.jpg
The EVF is one of the best I ever tried. Last year I praised the Fuji XE1, this
year, having tested Oly and Fuji XE2, the former is much easier with glasses,
thumbs up, I'm almost sold!!!

But the camera has a very complex ergonomy, here are testers, looking like 'a
chicken in front of a toothbrush':

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo_2013/DSCF3900_dev.jpg

Once the girl at Oly booth explained the basics, it became fairly usable. One
point you need to know, position 1 or 2 of the lever, the mode dials front and
rear take their operation from this lever. A wee bit strange since the lever is
not lockable. If the lever is in wrong position, instead of moving the
aperture, you end up setting the ISO.....

One point however, Oly has thrown in all possible parameters they had in mind,
it means that taking a picture is not a matter of composition and light but
curves, film type, tweaks, 3 modes of face detection, 6 modes of stabilisation,
numerous white balance presets, etc, etc. It must take a long time to master
all...

That camera is a pack of features and intelligent auto modes, the traditionnal
aperture/exposure set is far burried under other functions. Mind you, I tried
the new Pentax K3, it is not better. But remember, I still use a Leica
Digilux3....

However, it is a dream machine to some, after the fair :

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo_2013/DSCF3907_dev.jpg

Now, Sony has re invented "Oscar's film size", Full Frame, they claim, very
strange as the electronics has helped to produce compact yet very good cameras:

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo_2013/DSCF3905_dev.jpg

Finally, I came back home exhausted, noise, french rudeness..... My pack has
whispered to me their inner thoughts of the digital photography in 2013: more
and more phones were presented as cameras, it seems mad....

http://xavierf.b.free.fr/Temp/salon_photo_2013/DSCF3907_dev.jpg

It's at Porte de Versailles Folks, till Monday Night !

All images are out of a Point and Shoot Fuji X20,  Enjoy!
From : Xavier F. BILLE
mail : hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx
Maisons Alfort - France