[LRflex] Re: Paris, again...

  • From: Steve Barbour <kididdoc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 17:35:45 -0700

On Jun 28, 2008, at 4:43 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

Steve Barbour showed:
Subject: Paris, again...
Very few of my photos mean so much to me, as those from Paris...
As we plan another trip, I have been motivated to review, and rework images from earlier. Each time I see them, new thoughts and emotions emerge. I will show some over coming weeks. All are images from previous trips, some never seen, some shown before...almost all taken with leica M cameras, and film...
here's one...
http://www.solio.us/gallery/album02/man_woman_paris?full=1

Hi Steve,
I’ve just come in from “working my garden”… I mean digging big time! It feels like I need a slight cooling off from the 86 degrees Fahrenheit temp.

So a break for a cool look at one of my favourite cities also, Paris!

You have to love it in the cool of an evening sitting at an outside bar-restaurant watching the beauties passing by. J Oh I mean watching the pleasant scene passing by. ;-)

Nice shot ….. However! J
Now you know when you see, “However” there is going to be a critical comment. J Right?

So OK here it is.

You didn’t hold the camera straight!!!!! Look at the buildings right and left and you tilted the camera down and I know why. Because you wanted to make sure you had the lady’s feet and shadow in the frame for sure. Right?

thanks for looking Ted, and your comments...I see what you mean...

yes, I didn't hold my camera straight....but for another reason, important though I doubt it will excuse me anyhow...

I wanted to capture the vertical lines of the bridge, the pont des arts...leading the eye up river, toward the man and the woman, toward paris...(and also the sky was so drab...)

I think what I picked up by the tilt was important, and what I sacrificed to me was minimal...

however, if that cannot be foregiven, then I am at least chastised by the ultimate authority...

I appreciate your comments,

Steve

But in doing so you spoiled the “perfect” look to this very interesting moment.

Nit picking? Damn right, but that’s what sorts out the very good shooters as you are 99.999999999999999% of the time. Don’t feel bad simply because we all did it or have done it. But once this is pointed out, you will never forget the message any time you put the camera to your eye.

Bring on the next one! J

ted