[LRflex] Re: Pana L1 Comments (was Re: IMG: PAW - Phx's ' Colditude ')

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:08:45 -0800 (PST)

Hello Philippe,
   thank you for your comments regarding using and owning your Panasonic L1.
There is incredible appeal in being able to step down from a gripped midrange
body or a 1D type beast into something slim, trim, and a joy to use. If I was
to win a big cash lottery or something, the perfect option is an M9 :-) because
of being a journey into a whole different photographic craft while only making,
at worst, a lateral shift in image quality potential.
<<Soapbox Moment>>
  I think all to often the importance of the 'Craft' of the Photographer isn't
communicated well enough as the worlds collective community of photographers
debate, discuss, and comment about which camera is best, which lens is best,
which software is best, and the holy grail of whose gizmo is better than
someone else's gizmo based on x,y,z of this-that-or the other features. Quite
sincerely, I'd take Cartier Bresson with an iPhone Camera over a buzzworded
buffoon bulked up on a big bucks bag of stuff who can debate high speed
aperture optics, but can't judiciously choose an aperture for a given scene.
  Thank heavens for the Leicareflex List and other communities of it's ilk -
there is hope for Photographs & Photographers. To steal a phrase from the
environmental folks - Think global, Act local. I try to do this by using my old
Zeiss Pancolar M42 Fifty to show a person what lenses and apertures and
focusing actually physically does. It's such a blast to see the wheels in
peoples heads start to turn as our hobbies' old crafts become clear to them,
sometimes for the very first times.

<<Stepping Off Soapbox>>

We now return to our regulary scheduled email. :-)

>   It causes me to inquire about your opinions on the DMC-L1 camera
> itself.

"It has become a second self - its operation is
manually intuitive as
on a good ol' camera :-)"

Glorious praise for any camera.
Period.
I dearly love my 20D and the ergonomics & operational gestalt of EOS Bodies
appeal to me quite strongly, but there is quite an intellectual overhang to
always have to negotiate when using them. I didn't really notice it until
pulling my Rolleiflex off the shelf last winter and running a roll through it.

"> I generally 'worship' at the altar of big sensors - big details -
> big resolutions,

and rightly do

a smaller sensor
prevents you from enlarging too much, or from
cropping too much -
for the rest, only pixel peepers might tell I'm
now sure."

Sensor size actually exceptionally worries me in considering my 'smaller'
camera options. To be honest, when I visit your newly posted LUG gallery
images, I often am 'aware' early on that an image came from a 'smaller sensor'.
The same extends to the Gorgeous images being postd from New Zealand. The
moments captured on those Pacific Islands are absolutely terrific, the
compositions are great, and frankly photographic lightning pops in many, many
of the frames. Period. I am also frequently left wondering whether a camera
with a bigger sensor would have been a much much better choice for these
images. Micro contrasts, edge definitions, shadow details, it's hard to plug a
specific adjective into what I'm looking at. It might not be fair at all to
look with the 'yardsticks' I guess I'm carrying, but then my photographs and my
photography has benefited mightily by measuring my own images and craft by
quite high standards.

I worry about having 'enough' in the smaller sensor to comfortable say there is
'enough' in my images to be comfortable. Very personal choice and definitely
one to be made individually, Philippe.

">  What do you like best about it

it is mine and I use it :-)"

and USING it is what cameras are for and NOT using them or NOT using them often
enough makes our photographs suffer for it!

"In any case both the Digilux and the L1 have been (long)
discontinued."

Two Questions.
Is there anything specific which would cause you to wave someone off from
purchasing a Used L1/Digilux?
What do you think of the new Micro 4/3rds Panasonic & Olympus cameras which
have come out?

When I read on dpReview of staff and reviewers with access to cabinets full of
review equiment are spending their own money to purchase these 4/3rds 'Gems' -
it really gives me pause to think. Especially when that new mount gives a
viable route to going digital with pretty much any legacy 35mm lens mount.

Thanks for your input and thoughts Philippe, I am the wiser for them and also
Thank You for the wonderful images and imagemaking you share, as well.

Richard