[LRflex] Re: PSTCRD: Manhattan, to Gershwin and Woody Allen

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 14:47:46 -0800

Hi Philippe and Tina,
I have been admiring Philippe's B&W - and now Tina's - of the Big Apple
Skyline ~ both of you lucked out on the clouds being there to start with!
 I think "Manhattan, to Gershwin and Woody Allen", is a very appropriate
title to Philippe's oeuvre.  His rendition has that old world feel, perhaps
part of that character comes from a cheap lens that made his million dollar
shot!  Also that feeling comes from the foreground of shorter buildings
building up to a crescendo of Skyscrapers and leading the eyes to those
dreamy clouds.

OTOH, Tina's rendition is more in the league of architectural/fine art
genre.  It is remarkably sharp by virtue of the Leica glass.  The view
offers a different perspective - it is a different, more closed-in view of
the skyline compared to that from the Empire State, and for me it does not
impart any "Gershwin or Woody Allen", yet it still impresses by way of her
compositional balance and lighting (esp. color version).    One cannot pick
the clouds on a particular day, yet it just so happens that I preferred the
puffy clouds in the "Gershwin" version, just a personal thing.

Congratulations to you both, you should be rightly proud - and thanks for
sharing!
Now maybe I will come back with some San Francisco Skyline shots one fine
day, not sure when..........
~ Eric Chan