[LRflex] Re: Optimal Focal Lengths ... for Dave Simms

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 14:22:18 -0700

Dave Simms postulated:

>I don't know what he means by "vanished" but i would guess that he means that
>everything that can, or could, be done designwise, with the 135mm
>focal length,
>has been done and that, insofar as the designer is concerned, the book is
>closed.

I think you'll find that what Irwin means is that the 135 used to be
a very popular focal length.... now, you'll be hard pressed to find
one, by any maker, in the stores.

But, in the way-back-whens (the 1940's through 1950's), the
"standard" kit was 35mm/50mm/135mm.   The 35's, for many, have been
supplanted by 28's (very rare and exotic in the 1960's) and the 135
was wiped out by the 80~200 or 70~210 zooms.

I  think you'll find that the only focal lengths which are
particularly had to design/build are the ultra-wides, which have
proven a challenge to many a designer.  Especially if we're talking
retro-focus designs.

Happy BC Day, Dave!

Cheers!
David Young - Photographer