[LRflex] Re: Optimal Focal Lengths ... for Dave Simms

  • From: David Simms <simmszee@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 12:06:44 -0700 (PDT)

Walter's link, with the Putt's article on the 80-200 zoom definitely puts that
lens in the exceptional class.
In order to support my former contention that certain focal lengths are
"sweeter" than others, I offer this quote from Putts.
"Leica lenses at the fixed focal length of 135 mm have vanished for a long
time,
but it still is a very interesting focal length where exacting performance may
be required. And around 200 mm current prime lenses are outstandingly good and
it is reasonable that the photographer expects the same type of performance of
the vario lens at this focal length of 180 mm to 200 mm."

I don't know what he means by "vanished" but i would guess that he means that
everything that can, or could, be done designwise, with the 135mm focal length,
has been done and that, insofar as the designer is concerned, the book is
closed.

Dave