[LRflex] Re: Opinions on 21-35mm zoom

  • From: Chris L <speleo_karst@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 12:20:42 -0700 (PDT)

----- Original Message ----
From: Steve Barbour <steve.barbour@xxxxxxxxx>

if this is in part to replace the 19mm II my best, simplest advice... save your
money.

And if you prefer to keep it light,  leave the 35 at home....

But if you insist on buying the 21-35 VE,  write to me off list, I likely can
make you a screaming deal on a mint one....

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Will meditate on your advice and offer....

I have often considered and even tried using a super-wide  (18-21mm, depending
on system) as my only wide. Keep in mind that I don't use a 50mm, so the next
longest lens will be a 90mm (or close, depending on the system).
Unfortunately I missed a "normal" FL, which for me is 35mm.

I can see where this is going: The 21-35mm probably isn't as good as the better
primes it could replace and the question is how much do I want to pay for a
(realtively) small weight reduction.
On the plus side, there are the zoom advantages of framing and the availability
of a nice FL of around 24mm (which I don't have in Leica R, and normally leave
at home in other systems).

One original question remains: Are there 21-35mm without ROM?

Chris