[LRflex] Operating System Religious Wars (was: Leica DMR support)

  • From: Colin Howarth <colin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2007 11:13:52 +0100

On 27.01.2007, at 09:51, phamard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I met Stallman a couple of years ago in Nancy-France.
> Nice chap even if I had thought he was a bit of a dreamer.

He's a strange but very interesting chap. He has done many great
things - but I believe he can be a bit inflexible at times :-)

> And yet his dreams are becoming true - the French gov is now
> imposing Open=
>  Office to its administration.

Various governments/organisations have tried/done this - with varying
degrees of success.

> When there a will, there must be a way.

Where there's a will, it would be nice if there were a way.

Regarding SonC's reply: I believe my original reply was perfectly
reasonable and even relevant to this list. In this digitised age
computers are relevant to almost everything. In digital photography
the computer is part of the photographic process and the OS is an
important part of the computer.

All I meant to say, is that if you're not happy with Windows - try a
Mac. Simple. Or, to remove the command, "if you're not happy with
Windows - you might like to try a Mac."

Many people have, and many then wish they'd done it sooner.

Of course there are valid reasons to use Windows, but many reasons
not to use a Mac are not valid.

Regarding Linux, I've been a Linux user since around 1992 (version
0.99 patch level something or other). I have selected ethernet cards
(does it have a so-and-so chip), SCSI cards (hmmm, needs the NCR so-
and-so driver compiled in), graphics cards (which version of the
Matrox Gxxx GPU is it) and so on. I have recompiled the kernel a
hundred times, compiled X11 from source in order to get sort-of
support for my graphics card, and tried out fvwm, KDE (bug-compatible
with Windows), and gnome (this all to get a Desktop on your screen).
I have tried to get USB support with kernel modules (was that HID,
OHCI or what?) but I don't remember if I ever managed to download any
pictures from my digicam.

OK, sorry about that :-)

Linux is very useful but it doesn't have a nice consistent user
interface. Once I had my Mac I found myself using Linux less and
less. I haven't used it at all for a year or two and don't miss it
much at all.

And finally, I've been on the internet since 1986 and have witnessed
(not necessarily taken part in) many flame-wars (pointless
arguments). These are merely my opinions/observations on operating
systems. If you think they don't belong here - just ignore them and
they will very soon go away :-)

colin

(somewhat grumpy because my knee is full of blood (post-operative)
and hurts and it's finally snowed and I can't take any pictures,
except of my toes, and I can't even develop those!)