[LRflex] Re: Oooops!

  • From: Douglas Herr <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 19:59:54 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I don't think it has anything to do with technology at all. It has far more
>to do with the photographer handling the auto-focus camera by not placing
>the auto focus point on the correct part of the picture.

Ted,

In certain situations Canon recommends against using AF, in particular where
the subject where you want to the focus to be doesn't coincide with one of the
camera's focus points and the situation involves a shallow DOF.  In particular
Canon recommends against using the focus-lock-recompose technique with shallow
DOF because in the time it takes to re-compose, either the subject or the
camera will move forward or back enough to place the plane of focus on the
wrong spot.

Canon recommends manual focus for this situation.  It's a scenario I encounter
very frequently and my trash bin can attest to the slight movements between
focus and re-compose.  Where as in most sports the main subject as-composed
lies on a focus point, AF is well and good.  Also where DOF will cover small
focussing errors, AF likewise is well and good.  However it's not a panacea for
all situations.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com