[LRflex] Re: Oooops!

  • From: "Dave Saalsaa" <dsaalsaa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 07:07:51 -0500

Ted, I do mainly portraits where the eye is my target.   Can I focus faster
than AF? Probably not.  I installed a Katz Eye focus screen in my 20D.  I find
the micro prism collar works very well for me with my Leica 90mm Elmarit R.   I
do use AF lenses set to AF at times too if I am shooting action but for the
bulk of my shooting I still like to "roll my own".

Dave
  From: "Douglas Herr" <telyt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  > Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx> wrote:

  >>I don't think it has anything to do with technology at all. It has far

  >>more

  >>to do with the photographer handling the auto-focus camera by not placing

  >>the auto focus point on the correct part of the picture.

  Doug Herr responded:

  > In certain situations Canon recommends against using AF, in particular

  > where the subject where you want to the focus to be doesn't coincide with

  > one of the camera's focus points and the situation involves a shallow
DOF.<<<

  Hi Doug,

  Sure of course there are times when the subject and situation is far better
manually focusing. Actually I have all kinds of buddies who shoot for the wire
services where during certain sports who prefer to use manual. Sorry I don't
remember which sports they mentioned.

  > In particular Canon recommends against using the focus-lock-recompose

  > technique with shallow DOF because in the time it takes to re-compose,

  > either the subject or the camera will move forward or back enough to place

  > the plane of focus on the wrong spot.

  Well the only focus lock I use which is rare, that is keeping the pressure
down on the shutter release so it's quite easy to let up and squeeze down again.

  > Canon recommends manual focus for this situation.  It's a scenario I

  > encounter very frequently and my trash bin can attest to the slight

  > movements between focus and re-compose.  Where as in most sports the main

  > subject as-composed lies on a focus point, AF is well and good.  Also

  > where DOF will cover small focussing errors, AF likewise is well and good.

  > However it's not a panacea for all situations.<<<<<<<

  But your subject matter is far more "twitching about" and demanding of
instant agile finger tip touch to keep the critters razor blade sharp. So I can
well understand the manual focus being far superior with this subject type.

  What's more important in the use of auto focus, is the skill and experience
of the photographer using it knowing when and where to make it work to the
shooters best advantage. Auto or manual.

  On the other hand it can fall into the hands of "would be photographers with
motor drives and auto focus who see "something" then merely squeeze on motor
shutter release and blast away with the full knowledge every picture will be a
supreme photograph perfectly sharp and composed with impeccable design ;-) If
you believe that have I got a bridge to sell you! J

  Of which we see so often in the digital photography of many today.

  This is another subject for a round table discussion on a comfortable day
with a cold beer and some goodies on the table for munching. J J

  ted