[LRflex] Re: On the ice...

  • From: "David Young" <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Richard Ward" <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 06:58:56 -0800

In a message dated 25/01/2011, Richard Ward said ...

>RW- Hi David,

>RW- Query: Why the 'OT Equipment' Apology?

G'Mornin' Richard!

Well, this *is* a Leica list, and while I *do* shoot my R-glass on my Oly,
via adapters, for this job, the AF of the Oly lens was a great help. All
shots were made with the Oly 50~200, f2.8-3.5 zoom w/1.4x converter
attached.  The "continuous focus" mode is a treat, for such things.

That being said, I lost a lot of shots to focusing errors, as the AF system
would get "confused" by the flying snow, thrown up by the spiked tires.
You'll note that in both shots it looks as if it's snowing, but it was a
brilliant blue-sky day, with not a cloud in sight.  All airborne "snow" is
really ice shavings, thrown up by the tires.

Every fourth race, they had to clean the track. See:

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Stake_03.html

Still, they move so fast, I'd hate to have to do it with Manual Focus!

Glad that you liked the shots!

David Young - Photographer
Logan Lake, CANADA

Wildlife: www.furnfeather.net